Saturday 30 May 2009

Day One

During my second consultation with Dr Bridgett, we discussed the details of the Habit Reversal Programme.

We discussed the different levels of treating eczema:

LEVEL 1 - DRY SKIN - USE MOISTURISERS AND EMOLLIENTS
LEVEL 2 - ITCHY ECZEMA - USE TOPICAL STEROIDS
LEVEL 3 - SCRATCHING - HABIT REVERSAL

While moisturisers and emollients are vital in the treatment of eczema, they do not address the destructive behaviours that cause the chronic eczema and in my case, lichenification. So, it's important while I'm on the programme that I keep up all three properly. I'll include details of the programme later on. At this stage, I am focusing on a proper routine with the creams and steroids - making sure that I do not disturb the skin while applying them. The mantra is to apply them 'quickly, gently, frequently' and not to wake up the skin.

I am also very foscused on not scratching. But this is not simply an exercise in willpower. Rather, I am looking to replace my old, destructive patterns, with new ones. So from now on when I feel an itch instead of moving in with claws ready, I will gently clench my fists and count to 30 while thinking of something pleasant. If it is still itchy after that, I will move into the area and gently pinch the skin or put some pressure onto the skin with my nail.

I'm excited to start, although the idea is also a little daunting ...

No comments:

Post a Comment